CASTING NOTICE - Madama Butterfly
[SORROW] Boy or girl child, aged 5 - 8. Mute role.
Must be physically small and look 3 - 4 years old. Dark hair preferred.
Sorrow is the son of the geisha Butterfly and the American naval officer Pinkerton. S/he appears onstage at a critical moment in Act II of the opera and remains onstage for a substantial portion of the remaining two acts. S/he must sit still without fidgeting for a long time, amid much loud singing.
be able to follow direction, with great stage presence and excellent attention span. Ideal candidate is an older child who looks very young, with previous stage experience in any capacity.
Madama Butterfly is a new co-production between The Atlanta Opera and the Castleton Festival, directed by General and Artistic Director Tomer Zvulun and conducted by Music Director Arthur Fagen.
CHILD MUST BE LOCAL TO ATLANTA METRO AREA.
- Submissions due by Friday, August 22,
- Children granted an audition will be notified by Wednesday August 27.
- Auditions/callbacks will take place on Saturday, September 6, 2014.
- Rehearsals begin October 20 at the Atlanta Opera Center.
- Four performances on Nov 8, 11, 14, 16M at the Cobb Energy Centre.
Absolutely no phone calls.
General Chorus Auditions
Walter Huff, Chorus Master
The application deadline for 2014-15 Chorus Auditions has currently passed.
Please check back in May 2015 for information regarding chorus auditions for the 2015-16 season.
- Auditions are only for singers who have not previously auditioned for the Atlanta Opera Chorus.
- You must be at least 20 years of age.
- You must be a local/regional resident, due to the rehearsal schedule requirements of each opera.
- You must be available to rehearse evenings and weekends.
- Please prepare two complete pieces from the following genres: opera, art song, or classical musical theater (Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, musical theatre before 1990, etc.) One of the selections should be in a foreign language and the other in English.
- Please bring sheet music to the audition. An accompanist will be provided, although you may bring your own if you wish.
Supernumeraries are non-speaking, non-singing roles in operas, similar to extras in movies. Casting needs vary per production. The Atlanta Opera accepts supernumerary applications any time of year for all those interested in being a part of an operatic production.
You may apply online by completing the form below and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Supernumerary Application" in the subject line. Please attach a photo of yourself with the application. Once received, we will add your name to our files and will contact you if your description fits our casting needs for a production.
Download Supernumerary Application (PDF) >>